The Planning and Land Use Office is responsible for enforcement and administration of the Lancaster County Zoning Ordinance, Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinance and Wetlands Ordinance, and also handles enforcement of the Solid Waste Disposal Ordinance and Inoperable Vehicle Ordinance.
Other areas of responsibilty include the Comprehensive Plan and the Capital Improvements Program, both of which are reviewed and updated periodically to conform to the changing needs of Lancaster County and its citizens.
This office also provides administrative support for the Lancaster County Planning Commission, Wetlands Board and Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Director - Brian D. Barnes
- Zoning Officer - Bill Farrell
- Environmental Codes Compliance Officer - Position Vacant
- Administrative Assistant - Crystal L. Whay
Waterfront Property Owners with Private Septic Systems
The Lancaster County Board of Supervisors has required implementation of a Septic System Pump-out/Inspection Program, requiring all private septic systems to be pumped out at least once every 5 years. This program is in accordance with the County's Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinance and mandated by the Chesapeake Bay Local Assistance Board of the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR).
Since all land within Lancaster County is designated as Chesapeake Bay Preservation Area, all properties are required to comply. The Septic Pump-out/Inspection Program is broken down into two phases. Phase I ensures compliance with all private septic systems on waterfront properties. Phase II ensures compliance of all other properties having private septic systems.
Letters to all waterfront property owners with private septic systems are now going out, along with a verification compliance form to be mailed back with confirmation of pump-out.
Questions regarding this program may be directed to the Planning and Land Use Office at (804) 462-5220 or e-mail Brian Barnes.
Any person planning to cut or direct the cutting of trees within 100 feet of tidal waters or wetlands must contact the Lancaster County Planning and Land Use Office, (804) 462-5220, prior to doing so.
Director of Planning & Land UseBrian Barnes
Phone: (804) 462-5220
Fax: (804) 462-0031
Office Location & Address
8311 Mary Ball Rd
Lancaster, VA 22503
Hours: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
DownloadsThird party software or a browser plug-in may be required to view the files listed below:
- Building and Land Use in Lancaster County - What You Should Know
- Building Permit Supplemental Information Package
- Erosion and Sediment Control Permit Application
- Joint Permit Application Process
- Septic System Pump-out Verification and Compliance Form
- Storm Event of April 6, 2017 - Permit Fee Waiver Policy
- Stormwater Managment & BMP Facilities Maintenance Agreement
- Water Quality Impact Assessment & Landscape Plan Agreement