The Planning and Land Use Office is responsible for enforcement and administration of the Lancaster County Zoning Ordinance, Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinance and Wetlands Ordinance, and also handles enforcement of the Solid Waste Disposal Ordinance and Inoperable Vehicle Ordinance.
Other areas of responsibilty include the Comprehensive Plan and the Capital Improvements Program, both of which are reviewed and updated periodically to conform to the changing needs of Lancaster County and its citizens.
This office also provides administrative support for the Lancaster County Planning Commission, Wetlands Board and Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Director - Bill Farrell
- Zoning Officer - Position Vacant
- Environmental Codes Compliance Officer - Olivia Hall
- Administrative Assistant - Crystal L. Whay
Septic System Pump-out/Inspection Program
The Lancaster County Board of Supervisors has required implementation of a Septic System Pump-out/Inspection Program, in accordance with the County's Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinance and the state’s Chesapeake Bay Preservation Area Designation and Management Regulations (9VAC25-830). The program requires all private septic systems to be pumped out at least once every 5 years.
Since all land within Lancaster County is designated as Chesapeake Bay Preservation Area, all properties are required to comply.
Letters to property owners with private septic systems are mailed, along with a verification compliance form to be returned with confirmation of pump-out. Questions regarding this program may be directed to the Planning and Land Use Office at (804) 462-7581 or e-mail Olivia Hall.
Financial assistance may be available to low- and moderate-income (LMI) households for pump-outs through the Northern Neck Planning District Commission (NNPDC). Click here to learn more.
Locating & Permitting Your Septic System
Contact the Lancaster County Health Department, at 804-462-9919 for a drawing showing the location of your septic system or for permitting the installation of a new septic systems or repairs.
Any person planning to cut or direct the cutting of trees within 100 feet of tidal waters or wetlands must contact the Lancaster County Planning and Land Use Office, (804) 462-5220, prior to doing so.
Director of Planning & Land UseBill Farrell
Phone: (804) 462-5220
Fax: (804) 462-0031
Office Location & Address
8311 Mary Ball Rd
Lancaster, VA 22503
Hours: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
DownloadsThird party software or a browser plug-in may be required to view the files listed below:
- Agreement In Lieu of Erosion and Sediment Control Plan
- Agreement In Lieu of Sormwater Management Plan
- Building and Land Use in Lancaster County - What You Should Know
- Building Permit Supplemental Information Package
- Erosion and Sediment Control Permit Application
- Joint Permit Application Process
- Septic System Pump-out Verification and Compliance Form
- Storm Event of April 6, 2017 - Permit Fee Waiver Policy
- Stormwater Managment & BMP Facilities Maintenance Agreement
- Water Quality Impact Assessment & Landscape Plan Agreement